Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Quickie...healthy stuff...

Just wanted to share this: for dinner tonight (well, Tuesday night...it's past midnight), I made salmon (broiled with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and dill) and a big panful of roasted veggies like Crazy Aunt Purl posted about a while back. Oh. My. Goodness. The veggies were wonderful! You can probably do it with any combination of hearty veggies -- I used two sweet potatoes, two red potatoes, one butternut squash, two big carrots, half a sweet onion and two cloves of garlic, tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. It was just SO GOOD, and with the salmon, it fit right in to one of my intentions for this year (see, I told you they'd crop up), which is to continue creating and eating healthy meals. It was also a very color coordinated meal...lots of yellows and oranges and that salmon-y pink color. Not a green thing in sight. LOL (Well, the dill....)

ETA: Now it's going on midnight again, and I can say this was one really healthy eating day! For breakfast I made myself some quinoa porridge, which I love but often forego in favor of something faster, like instant grits or a whole wheat bagel. The only thing I don't love about the porridge is that every damn time I make it, it boils over and makes a mess. It doesn't matter how closely I watch it, it does it. :::sigh::: Then I made another spinach-ricotta pie for my late lunch/early dinner today. Mmm. This stuff is awesome, and I've got leftovers for lunch for the next few days, too. 

It occurs to me now that I ate no meat today. I'm not a non-meat eater on a regular basis because, admittedly, I do love me some carnivorous fare, but I fully enjoy good-tasting meatless meals too. 

On top of this, I'm trying, once again, to add more fruits to my life. I am not good at eating fruit and I have no idea why. I love still-green bananas, and I love dried prunes (yes, I do!) and raisins (which I put in my grits, and that probably will make any number of southerners want to pass out), and in the summer I adore blueberries and good strawberries when I can find them. But the fruits available in the winter just don't really float my boat. (I know, you can still get strawberries and blueberries in the dead of winter in this day and age, but when possible, I try to avoid buying produce that had to be trucked thousands of miles to get to the store.) But I bought a crate of clementines the other day (yeah, I know, there goes my local produce thing, since they are a product of...some other country, I think?)...those I do enjoy. And I bought prunes. Might as well stick with what you know you like, right? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just had a chance to catch up on your blog,Wow! LOOK how much your wheel spinning has improved just in a few days! That finished yarn shows no signs of overspinning that you were having problems with last week.

gotta confess, my tree is still up....always a major production around here to get that thing down. Our worst/best take the tree down date was Valentines day one year. so now the joke arround here is, "well as long as it's down by Valintines day we are doing good" I still got a few weeks to get it done...lol