Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Free Pattern: Undulate Scarf


I've had this pattern ready to share for a while, but I needed good pictures to go with it. Today was the day I got that done, so, without further ado, a new free pattern for you, just in time for the changing weather and for the holidays, if you're in need of a soft, warming gift for someone!


I named this scarf "Undulate" because that's what it does, the pattern gently going back and forth yielding a subtle serpentine. I made this one from Malabrigo Merino Worsted (it only takes one skein), so it is incredibly soft. I didn't block it because I liked the squishy feel of it as it was, but if you wanted to block it to open up the width, you certainly could.

(By the way, if the yarn looks familiar, it may be because it was the same yarn I used last year for one of the pairs of Fast & Easy Fingerless Mitts featured with that pattern.)


Undulate


Edited: An error was brought to my attention in Row 8, which is now fixed. It should say "Repeat row 6." If you printed this pattern out prior to 1/2/09, please make note of the change. Thanks, and sorry for any confusion!

Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted, 150 yards

Needles: US 7

Gauge: 4 stitches/inch (it is not essential to get gauge on this project)

Finished Size: 4” x 68”

Directions:

Cast on 30 stitches.

Rows 1 – 4: K3, P3 across row.

Row 5: P1, [K3, P3] repeat to last two stitches (ending with knits), P2
Row 6: K2, [P3, K3] repeat to last stitch (ending with purls), K1.
Row 7: Repeat row 5.
Row 8: Repeat row 6.

Row 9: P2, [K3, P3] repeat to last stitch (ending with knits), P1
Row 10: K1, [P3, K3] repeat to last two stitches (ending with purls), K2
Row 11: Repeat row 9.
Row 12: Repeat row 10.

Rows 13 - 16: P3, K3 across row.

Row 17: K1, [P3, K3] repeat to last two stitches (ending with purls), K2
Row 18: P2, [K3, P3] repeat to last stitch (ending with knits), P1
Row 19: Repeat row 17.
Row 20: Repeat row 18.

Row 21: K2, [P3, K3] repeat to last stitch (ending with purls), K1
Row 22: P1, [K3, P3] repeat to last two stitches (ending with knits), P2
Row 23: Repeat row 21.
Row 24: Repeat row 22.

Rows 25 – 28: K3, P3 across row.

Row 29: K2, [P3, K3] repeat to last stitch (ending with purls), K1
Row 30: P1, [K3, P3] repeat to last two stitches (ending with knits), P2
Row 31: Repeat row 29.
Row 32: Repeat row 30.

Row 33: K1, [P3, K3] repeat to last two stitches (ending with purls), K2
Row 34: P2, [K3, P3] repeat to last stitch (ending with knits), P1
Row 35: Repeat row 33.
Row 36: Repeat row 34.

Rows 37 – 40: P3, K3 across row.

Row 41: P2, [K3, P3] repeat to last stitch (ending with knits), P1
Row 42: K1, [P3, K3] repeat to last two stitches (ending with purls), K2
Row 43: Repeat row 41.
Row 44: Repeat row 42.

Row 45: P1, [K3, P3] repeat to last two stitches (ending with knits), P2
Row 46: K2, [P3, K3] repeat to last stitch (ending with purls), K1.
Row 47: Repeat row 45.
Row 48: Repeat row 46.

Repeat rows 1 – 48 six more times or until you reach your desired length.

Bind off loosely.


A gratuitous photo of my daughter, just because I think she's pretty, but then I'm biased. LOL
Actually, she was a little annoyed by this point, because she was cold and it was snowing,
and I kept saying, "Just one more!"

3 comments:

Sari said...

Malabrigo is my favorite yarn. I can't wait to start this scarf--it's a perfect pattern--not too easy, not too hard! (saw it on Ravelry)

Jani said...

Beautiful model, beautiful scarf! Saw it on the Daily Chum - it's in my faves now.

Anonymous said...

It's summer here, so I've popped this in my favourites for when the weather cools down a bit. Your daughter has the most amazing hair.... I'm envious!