Sunday, December 28, 2008

It's that time again...

...after I've gotten through Christmas and New Year's is approaching, I start to get all introspective and feel the need to reflect on life. I actually enjoy the "looking back" part of the end of the year more than I do the "resolutions" for the new year -- which, in fact, I have forgone for several years...I may make a list of intentions here and there, but I hate the word "resolutions"...semantics? Maybe. Whatever.

Anyway, last January, I came upon this meme that was going around, asking people to reflect on the prior year. While I'm sure another one will come around this year, I thought I'd just recycle this one and think about 2008. Feel free to join and use it on your blog, if you so choose.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Took my kids to their first "big" concert -- Linkin Park's Projekt Revolution tour this summer. Also, I started taking kickboxing classes in late November. 

2. What are your New Years Resolutions?
I don't make resolutions.

ETA: I don't make resolutions, but at least one of my intentions for 2009 is to continue with some healthy lifestyle changes I made this year...eating healthier; including more locally-grown and/or organic foods in our diet; moving more, sitting less; etc.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth in 2008?
My brother-in-law and his wife had their third child, Makayla. Several church friends also had babies this year.

4. Did anyone close to you die.
Not really, thankfully. My husband's one aunt died in the early part of the year, but I really didn't know her that well. And while he technically died in 2007, I was only informed of my ex-husband's passing earlier this year.

5. What countries did you visit?
Stayed in the states again this year...went to South Carolina in Feb. for our son's Marine Boot Camp graduation, followed by a short trip to Florida with him and his family. Went by myself to Florida for a long weekend over Memorial Day, to spend some quality time with my mom. Went to Gloucester, MA with Amy to visit Denise in September, and then the kids and I went to Florida (again with the Florida, geez!) in early November, and stopped for a short visit with the oldest in NC on our way home.

6 What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
In general, I'd love to see some increased economic stability, but then wouldn't we all? And I'd love to feel more optimistic about the political future and leadership of our country, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd also love a year with less personal drama in the family. Enough already, ok?

7. What date(s) in 2008 will remain etched in your memory and why?
February 22-- Zach's graduation from boot camp.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Becoming more self-confident and content with who I am; taking more risks without caring what other people might think; and just being me regardless of whether other people like it or not.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't look at things as failures, but there are certainly various "mom" and "wife" moments I could have handled better throughout the year.

10. Did you suffer any illness or injury?
No, it was a pretty healthy year, thank God. My husband, however, broke his ankle in August, which was no fun for anyone. :(

11. What was the best thing someone bought you?
The best thing I got from anyone was time...time from my family to myself to do the things I enjoy. 


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My middle child, as I've watched him mature and exhibit really positive behaviors, like expressing gratitute to and concern for others, offering unexpected generosity. 

13. Whose behavior appalled and depressed you?
Two people I'm very close to and love but would love to smack upside the head sometimes for their ridiculously toxic and damaging behavior. Grow up already, you know?

14. Where did most of your money go?
Same as last year...bills. Yarn. Gas. Travel.

15. What did you get really, really excited about?
Kickboxing! 

16. What song(s) reminds you of 2008?
Muse - Super Massive Black Hole
Iron & Wine - Flightless Bird, American Mouth
Kid Rock - All Summer Long
OK Go - Here it Goes Again
The Ramones - Sheena is a Punk Rocker
Kira Willey - Colors

17. Compared to last year are you...
a.) Happier or Sadder? Happier
b.) Thinner or Fatter? Thinner! Yeay!
c.) Richer or Poorer? Financially, about the same; richer in the important things in life.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Been more patient; channeled my crazy creative energies into more productive endeavors; been more organized.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stressing over things I have no control over; getting frustrated with the kids and husband; spent less money.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home, very quietly, just us. In-laws came over for a bit in the afternoon.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008.
Always. :)

22. How many one night stands did you have?
Other than with the occasionally ill-fated knitting project, none. :}

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Fringe, The Mentalist, The Legend of the Seeker, Big Bang Theory, The Office.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't this time last year?
No.

25. What was the best book you read?
Non-fiction: Take This Bread, by Sara Miles and Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller. Fiction: the Twilight series, by Stephenie Meyer.

26. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I turned 42, and I can't remember what I did. I think we went out to dinner that night, though.

27. What was your best musical discovery?
Carter Burwell's score for the Twilight movie.

28. What did you want and get?
Another tattoo; more yarn; a card reader to use with my MacBook...oh, and the MacBook!

29. What was your favorite film of the year?
Twilight (Theme? Yes? LOL)

30. What did you want and not get?
More bills paid off than did get paid off; a big family vacation to somewhere we haven't been yet.

31. What one thing would've made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less drama.

32. How would you describe your fashion concept for 2008?
Better fitting! It was a year of learning to like my body, despite it's many flaws, and as such, I quit trying to hide it in big baggy clothes and started wearing more fitted clothes. Also, discovering the most perfect-fitting bras, which helped a lot in the clothes-fitting department. ;)

33. What kept you sane?
Knitting; entertaining myself in my own brain, LOL (it's never a boring place).

34. Which celebrity or public figure did you admire most?
John McCain

35. What political issue stirred you most?
The presidential election; all of the ridiculous government bailouts.

36. Who do you miss?
I'll always miss my dad, but other than that, I'm pretty blessed to have those I love readily accessible, if only by phone or text message.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
I finally got to meet Denise in person, and that was fun. I also got to meet several BKGs...Angry Poodle, MrsRevJohn and Madam. Also, this isn't technically "meeting" people, but it's been fun to reconnect with some people from high school on Facebook.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned.
It's ok to say no to things that don't work for you, to give up traditions or practices that no longer serve you well.

39. Quote a song line that defines your year.

Ok, not a song line, but a quote from a movie, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, instead...

Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?
Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them, and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.
Aragorn: You're a daughter of kings, a sheild maiden of Rohan. I do not think that would be your fate.

No comments: