Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sounds familiar...

Ok, so, we went and saw Twilight on Friday afternoon (are you tired of me talking about Twilight yet? Sorry.). I loved the book so much that I chose to go into the movie with neutral expectations because movies, in general, never live up to the original books, and that is especially so when they're books I love. I was surprised by how much I really loved the movie! Clearly, my inner thirteen-year-old girl is alive and well, because I giggled along with my daughter at some points and melted straight into the floor during the romantic parts.

Yes, the movie left out a lot of stuff that I wish they could have developed, and it added things not in the book, which is always irksome (but in their defense, the book had so much narration, I think they had to add new material to help illustrate in a timely manner what was originally narration), and it was kind of corny at some places (which led to audience laughter at places that probably weren't meant to be funny), but overall, I think they did a respectable job of condensing an intricate, well-loved, 500+ page book into the space of two hours of screen time.

But I wasn't really planning to talk about the movie. What I do want to talk about, though, is the music from the movie. I bought the soundtrack a couple weeks before seeing the movie -- I rarely ever buy movie soundtracks and never before a movie comes out, but I was dying to hear Bella's Lullaby and darned iTunes only lets you get it by buying the whole soundtrack, so I just went out and bought the CD instead.

I. Love. It. The music is fabulous. The lullaby permeates the movie at all the pivotal places (though the soundtrack doesn't do it justice...it's just too short and too mixed up with other instruments than just the piano). I totally love Muse's Supermassive Black Hole...excellent song to play at full volume in the car. (Though I admit to not reading the song title on the CD and thinking they were saying "super magic vagabond." Yeah. "Black hole" and "vagabond"? Sound nothing alike. But that's what I heard. I'm weird.)

But the song in the movie that most captured me isn't even on the freakin' CD (though it is a bonus song in the iTunes album download, go figure, argh), and that is Debussy's Clair de Lune. It is beautiful. I'm not a big classical music buff, but I recognized the tune as soon as I heard it in the movie. So I came home and Googled it (Ha! "You can Google it." Ahem...let the gratuitous movie quotes begin.) because I'm a geek and that's what I do. I played several versions of it over and over. I definitely love the piano solo versions the best. But what kept nagging at me is that I knew I'd heard it in another movie before -- I'm sure it's been in lots of movies, but I knew there was a specific one that I was thinking of, but I just couldn't place it.

Until tonight! Thank you, YouTube! It is the song that plays at the end of Ocean's Eleven, when the guys are all staring at the Bellagio's fountain show, and they all start to walk away one by one. Love that scene. (Here's the YouTube video that helped me figure it out, though it is not the actual movie clip.)

3 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Okay, I'm going to have to read the book; all you bloggers are getting to me! Will wait for the movie to come out on dvd, though. No teen girls for me to take to the movies! Unless my niece hasn't seen it by Thanksgiving...

My boys turned me on to Muse last year; it's great driving music. We drove older kiddo down to college with it blasting. But my mind hears that line as "supermarket guacamole" because we call guacamole "Gwaca Mole" to be silly.

And someday I'd like to play Clair de Lune, but not soon...too hard for me. I'm only playing the two versions on my iPod!

Knitting Mania said...

Well I'm seeing the flick tomorrow with a girlfriend. My hubby was totally NOT interested. I'm just finding out about all the hype with this movie now....what the heck is all the tado about it? I haven't read the books, but I guess I'll be in the know after tomorrow's mantinee. I'll have to give my review on it then.

Knitting Mania said...

Update...I saw Twilight yesterday and LOVED it!!!! Wow what a story. I'm already on book #2!! Teehee