Monday, June 8, 2009

The afghan...

...she is finished!

I am so happy with how this project turned out...

I know I've mentioned this afghan a lot lately as I've been working on finishing it, but I'm not sure I've ever explained the whole story of it. So here it is, if you're interested.

Last July, one of my Ravelry groups decided to do an afghan square swap. There would be 12 people in each group, each person making one square for everyone else and one for themselves. There were enough interested people to fill three groups. I was in Group 2.

And so it began -- every two weeks, one square was due to be mailed off to the next person in your group, and they alternated between solids and multi-colors. The only universal parameters for the squares were that they had to made of worsted weight, machine-washable yarn and they had to be a finished size of 12"x12". Each person had the opportunity to request other specifics, within reason (such as colors, or if there was a certain fiber they preferred not to get, etc.). Otherwise, we were free to choose how we made the squares.

I was really fortunate that Group 2 had very few issues. (If you've ever done a swap, especially of this magnitude, you know that's not always a given!) We finished that original round of 12 squares in January. Then there came an option for anyone who wanted to make a bigger afghan -- 20 squares instead of 12 -- to sign up and be a part of an extended group. I joined that, and the process began again for the additional eight squares, and it wrapped up in early May. Once I had all of my squares, I started putting them together with the garter stitch borders. That part took a little less than a month. And now it is done!

I have to say, I've done several swaps -- knitting and otherwise -- that have been, well, flops. People flake, or they don't follow the rules, or they send you things you'd never use in your lifetime, etc. This afghan swap project? My experience with it was wonderful! Through both rounds, no complaints. (I credit Brittany for being a supreme swap organizer! She really kept everything running smoothly, as far as I could tell.) I was amazed at how much time and effort everyone put into their squares...there are some amazing works of art in my afghan!

Anyway, I am thrilled with my finished afghan. It's quirky and colorful and amazing. I love it's crazy colors, and the wide variety of designs. And I love that every time I curl up under it, I'll be covered by all of the creative energy of so many people! That's a gift in and of itself! Creative karma. Gotta love it. :)

2 comments:

Just Debbie said...

It's beautiful!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

It looks beautiful Lisa!! Don't you love snuggling up with it?