It looks like 2010 might be the year of the shawl for me, seeing as two of my first three FOs for the year have been shawls! What's up with that? LOL
No matter! I love them, and my most recent, Multnomah (pattern from Hello Knitty), may well be my most favorite shawl I've ever made. Not only do I love the shawl itself...it's so comfy and a perfect size and shape...but I spun the yarn to make it, which makes it extra special to me!
Since this was a handspun project, I thought I'd share a little pictorial review of its process. I started with two Sanguine Gryphon Sir Batt batts (50% merino, 33% superwash merino and 17% silk), 3 oz. each, in the Gwenhwyfar colorway. Opened up, they looked like this (they kind of blend into the colors of my comforter!):
This was my New Year's afternoon project this year...I sat for hoouurrrs and got very fuzzy as I separated these two batts into piles of the five main colors found in the fiber...a light teal, light golden brown, a yellow-green, a deeper teal (which comprised the bulk of the fiber) and finally a small amount of a darker brown (which is mostly hidden behind the dark teal mountain). Sorry, these two are pretty crappy photos, as I took them with my phone camera.
Then I commenced spinning. I thought I took some mid-spinning pictures, but I can't find them. Will add them later if I locate them. However, I spun the singles in the order listed above, and then I Navajo-plied them in order to have five very long runs of the colors that would blend one into the next. Here they are skeined...
And here they are all wound into one continuous cake, 430 yards total. You can see the color gradations pretty well here, though the colors are kind of wonky...bad lighting.
I knew from the outset that I was spinning this yarn to make a shawl. I just didn't know which one. I searched for quite a few nights on Ravelry trying to find one that I thought would show off the color changes without being too fussy. I finally landed on Multnomah -- simple yet pretty -- and knitting commenced! It definitely became a product-driven project at this point, as I knit monogomously on it for a week straight. At the end of those seven days, I had my shawl:
She fits around me perfectly, like a soft, warm hug. My finished size was 50" across the top edge and 16" down the center back. I love the shape of it...the sizes are nicely elongated and can either hang over my shoulders in the front or overlap to be pinned with a shawl pin. The yarn is so soft and squishy, it's cozy as all get-out.
Shawl pin, Celtic Budding Spiral, by Nicholas and Felice.
Despite the somewhat odd expression on my face here (I think I was giving my daughter photography direction at the time she snapped it), I am very, very happy with it. It is definitely one of the most satisfying projects I've ever spun and knit. :)