Thursday, October 1, 2009

Socktoberfest!

Pardon me, but there seems to be a zombie on your swift...

Why yes there is! What better colorway to knit in the month of October, the month of Halloween, the month of Socktoberfest than one named "Zombie"?

This is Foot Prints yarn from The Unique Sheep, which I picked up at the Cloverhill Yarn booth at Maryland Sheep & Wool last May. I have been waiting for the perfect time to knit up these crazy-fun colors, and now's that time! I had a pattern in mind for them of my own devising, but I'm going to hold off on that because the design would get lost in the colors, I think.

Don't these yarn cakes remind you of those round bales of hay that you see sitting out in fields? But really, it's a zombie ball! Hahahahaaa! Ahem...

Instead, I'm going to make myself a pair of Broken Rib Socks (Rav link) from the first 101 One-Skein Wonders book. The first pair I made turned out to be far too small for either me or my daughter to wear, so they ended up with my tiny-footed daughter-in-law! I've wanted to make another pair for me, and I think this yarn will be perfect.

So, that's my first Socktoberfest project. My second will be the Socktoberfest Mystery Sock socks from the pattern that Kirsten Kapur has created for this year. I did this KAL last year, and it was a lot of fun, though I crashed and burned after the first three weeks (I went on vacation and got rather sidetracked) and didn't end up finishing the foot and toe of the socks until several months later. Hopefully this year I'll stay caught up!

ETA: The first part of the pattern is up! Yeay!

For that pair, I'll be using this (sorry..bad coloring from nasty indoor-at-night photo)...

...some Schaefer Yarns Nichole in what is really a lovely semi-solid blue-grayish color (no purple/pink tinge like this picture wants to make you think). I have to admit, this is not a color I would have chosen to buy, but it was part of my goodie bag that I got at The Loopy Ewe Spring Fling last April, so I've held onto it. Lo, the yarn Kirsten used for making her pair of the Mystery Socks -- Nichole! Clearly it was meant to be! And since I want to make both of these socks at the same time to have them both (theoretically finished) by the end of October, I split the skein perfectly in two! Each of those balls weighs 2 5/8 ounces exactly. Am I good or what? LOL

So...it's here! Socktoberfest is underway! And as much as I really, really should go to bed now, I think I'm going to go cast on my first Zombie sock first. Let the socks begin!

Help! There's a Zombie on Nichole! Ahhhh!!!

3 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I love the Zombie! Those colors look really good together. Have fun with all the socks.

Laura Nelkin said...

Wow, I love that the Nichole we donated for the Loopy Ewe is getting used for Kirsten's design, what a great full circle... enjoy! I wish I had time to join in too!

Laura

Lisa B. said...

Laura, I am LOVING this yarn! It's nice and firm yet soft...beautiful stitch definition. And the color as it's knit up looks so different than I imagined it might...what wonderful serendipity that I had it in my stash to use for this project. :)